Tuesday, January 18, 2011

we're screaming our lungs out trying. let's go, let's go!

I'm currently at the Galerie Hotel, which is where my parents stayed when they were in Padders. Funnily enough, it's also where Matt, Tash and kids are staying, so I'm kidsitting so that they can have a nice grown-up(!) night out with the Pienemanns. Which means that I'm fucking around on the internet while the kids are sleeping. Not that I paid for wi-fi, of course; simply that someone with a network named Little-foot doesn't have their network appropriately secured and I've been stealing their internet. So, Little-feet people, you guys rule. Best network name AND you've enabled me to feed my facebook addiction for another day. Love your work.

Speaking of work, I have no plans to talk about anything tomorrow; Matt's lecturing, so I've told him to take his time, and hopefully he'll be fielding lots of questions. The last presentation I need to give is next week, when I'll be talking about sport in Australia. Not exactly my strong point, but it's something fun to end on and I get to make heaps of jokes about men in tight shorts or rivalry with other Commonwealth countries. So hopefully it's fun to present.

I've been talking to a lot of people about going home to Adelaide; what I'll do there when I get back, to put it into a nutshell. And really, my immediate goals are pretty simple: to finally finish my degree, to catch up with friends, and to start new bands. Seems pretty basic, and I hope it's as easy as it sounds. I think finishing the degree will be a nice test of my endurance; I'm not really interested in any of the subjects, and I'm well and truly burned out on studying right now. All I want is to throw it all in and laze about in the sunshine for a while. I need a Summer holiday; haven't had once since I left Australia, and I was working too much to fully enjoy it. (Or to have any semblance of a social life over the Christmas and New Year period.) And I think my priorities have changed a lot since I came here. At home, it was much easier to deal with, but here... noo, not a chance.

I guess hanging out with Jayne in Europe really cemented that for me. (And listening to too much Cancer Bats has really driven the point home.) I'm not concerned with what I have, but who I am. I don't care about having a career or lots of money or a house or a car or a husband. That can all go to hell. (Sorry to trash your dreams, sister, but this is how it stands.) What's important to me is that I'm always enjoying myself. This year has been pretty hard like that; I'm not unhappy now, rather, just bored. I felt from the start that this whole time has just been me putting my life on pause with the intention of picking it up later. Well, now is nearly "later", and I have no intention of picking everything up as I left off. I want more, and I want it better; in completely different ways to what I wanted before.

Being here, and especially the past few weeks (particularly during my travels), has made me accumulate a long list of things I miss. Alongside the obvious (parents, friends, cat) and slightly more stylised entries (tempeh, pilates at the WEA and pandan-flavoured soymilk) there are the lifestyle choices: Seeing bands every weekend. Playing guitar. Singing. Lord, I miss singing. Going to shows and knowing all the faces there. Raging.

And there's so much I've missed; awesome tours, bands playing their last shows, party festivals (Poison City Weekender, I would've owned you!) and opportunities. Maybe I wouldn't have appreciated them so much if I were there; I hope I've learned my lesson about that one. We'll see. So when I get back, I want to start anew. I want to really live; I'm still not ready to be tied down. I'll deal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment