Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm calling fraud; you're telling lies.

Lest that last post seem like an epic whinge, I'll reassure you all that everything is fine. I need to just stop thinking ahead by more than about a week, because my brain simply isn't wired to deal with it, and admittedly, it never has been. But that's ok; I know my faults. :)

I've been feeling pretty good lately. I went for another epic run the other day, but my knee and foot forced me to stop. I think the foot is what causes the knee problems; one of these days I'll do something about it. I'm hoping to go for a run tomorrow, provided that it isn't raining; I'll suss it out afterwards and see how it all stands. But I've been eating pretty well, and am particularly addicted to a salad made of raw, shredded zucchini, sliced marinated olives (must be garlicky!), salt and pepper, and lemon juice. Sometimes some parsley, if I have it. It's amazing. I love raw zucchini. And to think it was once a vegetable that I held for a waste of space. Zucchini, I apologise.

So, yesterday Matt gave a lecture at Pb uni. It was really interesting, and there were other people asking questions, so I didn't get the opportunity to grill him about anything... next time, next time. Hehe. We'd had lunch with some linguistics-people in the Mensula beforehand; it was my first time in there, and probably my last, because it wasn't anything remarkable. But Manfred was kind enough to pay for lunch, and I was definitely appreciative of that. Matt and Tash (who shall from here on in be known as 'Brangelina') bought me a pizza the other night, too. I'm doing pretty well in the freebies-stakes lately! Talk about getting by with a little help from one's friends! :)

Anyway, we met up with Tommy and Olaf (ok, spelling? anyone?) afterwards and had a drink in Capulet. Then to an imbiss for dinner, where I had some chips (sorry Tash, I think you paid for those!) and felafel. I was able to see the children-obtaining-sweets-thing for the second time in the space of two days. I tell you what, if it's anyone ruling in the freebies-stakes, it's the Brangelina children. Biscuits ahoy! But that's ok, I don't need any more sugar. Tonight I baked cupcakes (I'll explain later) so I'm sufficiently sugared for the next week. I went home, had an early night for the first time in about a week, woke up at 5am this morning after 8 hours sleep, and had the luxury of sleeping in until 6:30am. Good stuff!

Today was German course as per normal; I moved away from Nevin and Mona, and sat on my own; I hope they weren't offended, but I worked a lot better. I had more space and I didn't have to worry about group work that would just slow me down and make me frustrated. They're both such nice girls, but I can't work with them in a group; I'm not patient enough. I'm not there to be a teacher, I'm there to learn, so I think it's about time that I was more proactive about it. Frau Lammers was the one to suggest it, and I think she was onto something there. I definitely couldn't have stood it any longer. I just hope no one is offended.

After German, I went home (via Rewe, for soymilk and a few other little bits) and found Steffi and Andrea in the kitchen, writing papers on their laptops. It was rather cute. So I joined the computer party; I think Fabian was a bit surprised when he came in. He came and chatted for a while, and Steffi's bf Matze did too. Party in the kitchen! I'd just finished lunch when S, A and M decide to cook some food. I made a cake at the same time, and cupcakes with the leftover mix, and we laughed and chatted and generally had fun. It was really good. We spoke a mix of German and English, I fucked up my verb-order and general vocab and relied too heavily on "obwohl" and "zusammen", but it was still cool.

To explain the cake; I've had a running joke with Krystian that I'd bring him a cake for, oh, about six months now. Since I baked a cake for Ege's birthday, which was back in May. So I said I'd bring one in tomorrow. So I've baked a chocolate cake, exactly the same as last time, and hopefully it doesn't disappoint. I can't imagine that free cake is ever very disappointing...? I know that I've developed an addiction to the lemon cupcakes that Tash makes, that's for sure! So I think it'll be funny when I show up with a cake.

Anyway, I'm going to have another early night; I felt awesome after the last one, so I'll see if I can push my luck a little further... ;)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for looking after the kids, dinner was great. I hopefully didn't offend the other guest by asking if we should sie or du...but she seemed pretty laid back and I couldn't stand the doubt any longer. Only one vege option which was a great lasagne which everyone ordered.

    From a hair and spunky husband point of view I'm pretty happy to be called 'Brangelina', I will make sure I add some star trantrums into my act next time. Thanks for being our nanny in the cafe, my milk coffee was great and I even got to drink it hot.

    Keep up the good work in class and good to hear you are eating your vegetables again. Love Mum...oh I mean Tash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tash, you're welcome to adopt me any time you like! Just be aware that I'll start asking for pocket money... ;)
    And hey, I'm glad to be able to help out. I know that you guys probably don't get as much "I get to be an adult!" time as you might like, especially living here. So, enjoy it while you can... I don't think I'd survive as a nanny for too long. hehe.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete